Monday, May 6, 2013

'Sexsomniac', 40, is cleared of raping a 21-year-old in Butlin, UK because he had 'no control over his actions while asleep



A 'sexsomniac' has been cleared of raping a 21-year-old after a jury heard he suffers from a sleep disorder that causes him to have sex without knowing about it.

Andrew Machin 40, was accused of raping a drunk 21-year-old woman who he met through mutual friends after a night out in Butlins in 2010. He admitted the woman did not consent to having sex with him but claimed he was asleep at the time and had no control over his actions.

He is one of the first men in the UK to be acquitted of a rape charge after raising the defence of sexsomnia.
During the week-long trial, Machin told the jury how his life has been blighted by sleep problems for over 25 years and said he often has sex with his long-term partner Denise Jacks while he is asleep.

Machin told the jury he had just been trying to help the 21-year-old after she vomited following a heavy night of drinking at an 80s club night. 

He said he helped her into bed before falling asleep beside her and wasn't aware that they had sex. He told jurors: 'I just wanted to go to sleep. I didn't know where I was when I woke up. I was all over the place.'

He broke down in tears as he told the jury: 'All I wanted to do was help her. I didn't penetrate her intentionally. I didn't want to hurt her. 'I feel disgusted. It is difficult to describe how I feel.'

His partner Ms Jacks, 38, told the court how Machin had undressed her in his sleep and then had sex with her without him knowing. She said: 'It's like he's hypnotised and someone's got the remote control on. He's disgusted with himself. He just can't help it.'

Machin's sister Kathy Pickering told the jury that she and one of her sons also suffer sleep disorders.
She added: 'I have sleep sex. I discovered that when I was married. My husband told me about it. I've no recollection of what I've done or what I've said.'

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eyaa,too bad but is real, d disorder can make u do things without knwing it.

Amara said...

Thank God the jury allowed him 2 go free but he shld seek medical attention asap

UG said...

This a typical sleep disorder and equally sexual disorder,,he should see a psychiatrist for an immediate trmt and not 2 end up raping the whole community with such excuss. Anyway Ȋ̝̊̅§ good ƮђåƮ they allowed him go free, ƮђåƮ shld give him enough time 2 get medical trmt.

Anonymous said...

I guess d man enjoys the disorder since its now key to free sex and ticket 2 Rape women. Ladies beware!

Freddy said...

Lets hope this is not an excuse for another psychopath to get away with such crime!

Folake said...

How come this man would have sex, enjoy it and yet claims he has no control? What about inflicting pains on himself without control?

Anonymous said...

The jury was compromised!

Sly said...

Would the culprit be acquitted if he were to be a black man? #Racists...

Anonymous said...

Hi, everything is going nicely here and ofcourse every one is sharing information,
that's really good, keep up writing.

My web site; exercises to increase vertical jump